June 21, 2017 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 17V389000
If the transmission shifts into neutral or does not operate as intended, there is an increased the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V389
Manufacturer Aston Martin Lagonda of North America
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 315
Aston Martin The Americas (Aston Martin) is recalling certain 2011-2012 V8 Vantage vehicles. The affected vehicles received updated transmission and engine control software which may conflict with the pre-existing clutch settings and may cause the transmission to shift to neutral, or enable clutch protection mode which give abrupt gear shifts.
Aston Martin will notify owners, and dealers will reinstall clutch system software, free of charge. The recall began August 18, 2017. Owners may contact Aston Martin customer service at 1-949-379-3100. Aston Martin’s number for this recall is RA-07-0022.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SAFETY RECALL ACTION
|Reference number:||RA-07-0022||Issued: 6 July, 2017|
|Subject:||Transmission Software Update for the V8 Vantage with 7-Speed Sportshift II Transmission|
|Model(s):||V8 Vantage and V8 Vantage S.|
|VIN range:||Refer to the separately published list of VINs|
|Applicable to:||All USA Dealers|
|Distribute to:||After Sales Manager
- Appendix A – Table that Shows the Quantities of Affected Vehicles.
- Copy of the Owner Notification letter for vehicles in RA-07-0022.
- Copy of the Change of Keeper or Address form.
Reason for this Recall Action (NHTSA Ref. 17V-389)
Aston Martin has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on a range of vehicles that were manufactured from July 2010 thru August 2012.
Service Action SA-07-0209 was issued to update the transmission software on a quantity of Aston Martin V8 Vantage vehicles with SportShift II transmission. The Service Action did not give instructions to delete the stored clutch adaptions and wear-index data and in some conditions, the stored clutch settings are not compatible with the software update. This can cause:
- At some throttle positions, the transmission miss a gearchange without control from the driver. In some cases, this can result in the vehicle selecting neutral. If this happens, the driver can still use the gear select paddles to select a gear.
- The clutch can slip and overheat. If this happens, the transmission will go into a “clutch protection” mode. The engine Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) will come on and gearchanges will be abrupt until the temperature of the clutch falls. Normal gear change will then return. This function protects the clutch from damage.
This Safety Recall Action is applicable to the vehicles in the USA that follow:
- V8 Vantage with 7-speed SportShift II (November 2011 – August 2012)
- V8 Vantage S with 7-speed SportShift II (November 2010 – August 2012)
To correct the problem
To correct this problem, you must:
- Examine the history of the vehicle to find out if there have been signs of SportShift driveability problems.
- If necessary, update the software for the Transmission Control Module (TCM).
- If necessary, update the software for the engine management system.
- Complete the process to make sure that the clutch is correctly adjusted.
The full list of VINs for the affected vehicles is on the DCS portal as an attachment to this Recall Action document.
PLEASE DO A CHECK OF ALL VEHICLES THAT ARE IN THE AFFECTED VIN LIST
The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, as amended, provides that each vehicle which is subject to a recall campaign of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the owner has tendered it for repair. Failure to repair within sixty (60) days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time.
If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the owner may be entitled to an identical or reasonable equivalent vehicle at no charge, or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation.
To avoid having to provide these difficult solutions, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each owner and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. As you will see in reading the attached copies of the letters that are being sent to Owners, the Owners are being instructed to contact Aston Martin Customer Service if their Dealer does not correct the condition within three (3) days of the mutually agreed upon service date. If the condition is not corrected within a reasonable time, they are instructed on how to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
IMPORTANT: We remind you that it can be a violation of Section 30120(i) of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act required under this notice if a Dealer sells or leases a vehicle that is covered by this notice without first completing the repair.
We will write to every owner directly to tell them about this Safety Recall Action. A copy of the letter is attached at the end of this Recall Action for your information. There is also a copy of the “Change of Keeper’s Address or Ownership” form.
When the Owner calls to make an appointment, briefly describe the repair which will be done to the Owner’s vehicle and fully explain the reason for this work. Tell the owner that the repair will be done at no cost to them.
Service Reception Desk – Checks you must do before you book the vehicle in.
When you make a reservation for a Customer that you confirm the name and contact details are correct in Aston Martin’s records.
To do this, please do the steps that follow:
- Enter the vehicle’s 6-digit chassis number into DCS (amdealers.com) and click “Validate” (refer to Figure 1).
- Make sure that the vehicle details are correct. If the current owner is correct, no action is necessary.
- Make sure that the Customer name is correct. If the data is correct, then no action is necessary.
- To update the Customer details, use the search feature to find the customer in your Synergy database (refer to Figure 2).
Note: The Customer record and updated details must have been entered into Synergy before you try to transfer the ownership in DCS.
- If the correct Customer shows, click “confirm”.
- If the correct Customer details do not show, click “add new”.
Before you start work
Log on to the Online Dealer Warranty (ODW) system. Do the steps that follow:
- Select the Warranty Live screen (Outstanding Campaigns Status).
- Download the attached VIN list from the DCS Portal and do a check of the VINs in your control.
- Find out if there are other open Service Actions (SAs) or Recall Actions (RAs) for the vehicles in the list.
- List the SAs and RAs and plan the work so that the Owner only needs to come to your Dealership once.
Note: The ODW system operates in real-time. Thus, the online condition shows only the newest Dealer Warranty Claim submissions.
This Workshop Procedure has three parts:
- Part A – Examine the vehicle history data
- Part B – Update the software for the transmission and if necessary, the engine
- Part C – Do the SportShift clutch adjustment process
Part A – Examine the vehicle history data
- Do a check of the service history of the vehicle. Find out if:
- Speak to the owner and ask if they are happy with the way that the transmission and clutch operates.
- If in Steps 1 and 2 above there are indications that the transmission does not operate as expected, continue from Part B.
- Make sure that your AMDS software is at the newest Version.
- Connect the AMDS to the vehicle.
- Update the software for the ASM control module with the latest version (refer to Figure 3).
- Update the software for the Engine Control Module (ECM) with the latest version (refer to Figure 4).
Note: It is possible that the ECM software will not need to be updated. If this happens, the AMDS will display a message.
Note: When the software for the ASM control module is updated, the module will be set back to initial factory settings. You must do Part C after the software update to adjust the clutch correctly.
Part C – Do the SportShift clutch adjustment process
- Refer to the newest version of Service Bulletin SB-07-0315 and do all of the procedure from Part B.
- If you have completed all applicable parts of SB-07-0315 and the vehicle still does not drive satisfactorily, submit a TSR in the usual way.
Make sure that you submit your claim in less than 24 hours after the work is completed. The records of your claims are used in the reporting process for the Recall Action that Aston Martin need to submit to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Procedure and Labor Time
|Examine the vehicle history data.||0.20 hours|
|Sportshift gearchange system adjustment||0.65 hours|
When you have completed this Recall Action, make sure that you make an entry in Section A of the Vehicle Owner’s Guide to show that the procedure is completed.
Appendix A – Table that Shows the Quantities of Affected Vehicles in the US Market
Note: Please refer to the list on DCS for the vehicles in your region.
|Model||Registered & AMLNA
|V8 Vantage Coupe and Roadster||78||11/2011 – 08/2012|
|V8 Vantage S Coupe and Roadster||237||11/2010 – 08/2012|
The English version of this Recall Action is written in Simplified Technical English to ASD-STE100™.
Copy of the Owner Notification Letter
[Date DD Month, YYYY]
[Customer Address 1]
[Customer Address 2]
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE NHTSA Recall 17V-389
This notice applies to your vehicle: [INSERT VIN]
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Aston Martin has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on a range of vehicles that were manufactured from July 2010 through August 2012 with SportShift II ASM transmission.
As part of a 2012 software update, the stored adjustment settings for the clutch were not deleted and re-taught. These stored settings are incompatible with the updated software and can result in incorrect operation in certain circumstances.
In the vehicles affected by the incorrect transmission software update, the clutch can become incorrectly adjusted which may cause the transmission to go into neutral without warning to the driver, resulting in a loss of drive. In this case, the driver will be unable to maintain or increase speed unless they select a gear manually.
The steering and brakes remain fully functional at all times but there is an increased risk of a crash.
It is also possible that your vehicle does not show any of the signs above and it drives as you would expect. In this case, it is likely that there is no fault with your vehicle, but we would still ask that you have it checked at your Dealership for peace of mind.
The models affected are:
- V8 Vantage with 7-speed SportShift II (November 2011 – August 2012).
- V8 Vantage S with 7-speed SportShift II (November 2010 – August 2012).
WHAT WE WILL DO
When you speak to your Dealership, they will ask you questions about the way that your car drives. If the Dealer thinks that it is necessary, they will update the transmission software and do the clutch self-learn process. If necessary, the vehicle clutch system will be repaired or replaced, at no cost to you. When you have booked the vehicle in with your Dealer, wherever possible they will endeavour to complete the modification while you wait, to minimize the impact on your time.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
Please contact your Aston Martin dealer as soon as possible to arrange a date for the repair. They will be able to fully explain why this Recall Action is necessary. Instructions for making this correction have been sent to your dealer. The labor time necessary to complete this service correction is a maximum of one hour. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know how much additional time will be needed to schedule and process your vehicle.
Your Aston Martin dealer is best equipped to obtain parts and provide the service to make sure that your vehicle is corrected as promptly as possible. If, however you take your vehicle to your dealer on the agreed service date and they do not remedy this condition on that date, or within three days, we recommend that you contact Aston Martin Customer Service by calling 1-888923-9988.
If after contacting your dealer and Aston Martin Customer Services, you are still not able to have the safety defect remedied without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to write to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590 or call 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
If you have already had your vehicle repaired due to this problem before receipt of this notice, you may be entitled to reimbursement for any out of pocket costs. For further information, please contact Aston Martin Customer Service by calling 1-888-923-9988.
IF YOU NO LONGER OWN THE VEHICLE
If you have sold or traded your vehicle, please tell us by completing the enclosed Change of Keeper form and returning it to us.
Federal regulations require that any lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
We are sorry to cause inconvenience with this Recall Action. However, this action has been taken in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with our products. Yours sincerely
Director, Client Services
Aston Martin Lagonda Limited
2 Affected Products
|ASTON MARTIN||V8 VANTAGE||2011-2012|
12 Associated Documents
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)/TSB
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2017-4
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2017-3
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-1
Recall Quarterly Report #5, 2018-3
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2018-2
Recall Quarterly Report #6, 2018-4
Latest Recalls Documents
- 👍【OE-LEVEL】The hottest-selling comprehensive diagnostic scanner Autel Maxisys Pro MK908P in US & UK is made for the perfection with perfection, sharing the same OE-level features as expensive factory tools including ECU programming, coding, active test, 30+ service functions, and many more, for 98% vehicle models on the market, but with a much more attractive price tag. The scan tool is an ideal one-stop ultimate solution for large repair shops doing effective automotive diagnostics.
- 👍【ECU PROGRAMMING】As the upgraded version of MS908P and Maxisys Elite, Autel scanner MK908P allows ECU online programming on Benz/BMW, which were previously “dealership” only, to update the existing ECU software for fixing software-controlled issues. Its ECU online coding helps simulate high-end car functions, recognize the new actuators, and more, for better car performance.
- 👍【30+ SERVICE FUNCTIONS】 Oil Reset, EPB, TPMS, BMS, Brake Bleed, DPF, Immo Keys, Injector, SAS, Suspension, Throttle, WIN DR ROOF, Seats, Odometer, Lang Change, Headlamp, CHG Tire Size, TEC Learn, Cylinder, Trans Adaption, Airbag Reset, etc., and still growing. Designed for Professional and locksmiths, MK908P is really a all-in-one top auto scanner.
- 👍【ADVANCED FUNCTIONS】As an added benefit, the J2534 reprogramming box is available for ECU programming on more car models (OEM software required). Advanced functions as Guided Functions (VAG group); Personalization (BMW, Porsche, Toyota); Programmable Module Installation (Ford, Mazda); Power Balance (Chrysler, GM, Ford); Component Matching; Online Parameterization; and Online Account Login Service (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat) are all packed being a perfect fit for modern automotive maintenance.
- 👍【FREE AUTEL MV108】Autel MaxiVideo MV108, originally pried at 59$, is specially designed to connect with Autel MaxiSys to get the optical image evaluation, detection, and diagnosis. This video scope can perfectly access the desired point of difficult-to-reach car interiors, helping you a lot in repair work with its 640480 Pixel, 8.5mm Diameter, LED Illumination.
- 🚗ECU PROGRAMMING: This Diagnostic scanner comes with a SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant PassThru reprogramming interface device which allows you to use the updated OEM software to replace the existing software/firmware in ECUs, programming new ECUs for Benz/BMW and fixing software-controlled drivability issues and emission issues.
- SUPERIOR HARDWARE: The Maxicom MK908P is a upgraded version of the Maxisys Ms908P/Pro,it with Android4.4 based system amd super-fast hexa-core Processor, 2GM RAM, 64GB On-board Memory, 8.0 Megapixel rear cam, ultra-clear 10.1 inches LED screen etc.
- 🚗COMPREHENSIVE FUNCTIONS: Autel MaxiCOM MK908P performs the same function as Autel Maxisys Elite, Autel MS908S PRO, MS908E, and provide better price. this superior diagnostic device is awarded as the Best Vehicle Diagnostic Tool in Britain.12-month free updates，basic functions could still be used without updates
- 🚗WIDE VEHICLE COVERAGE: Extensive OE-Level vehicle coverage for more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes.It’s an ultimate car scanner for DIYers, experienced mechanics, even garage to finish professional-level vehicle repair and maintenance.
- 🚗Multi-ADD ONS:This Autel Scanner could connect the Oscilloscope-MaxiScope MP408 and Digital Inspection Cameras for vehicle’s electronic test or get the sight in the tight spaces. We offer you a free ArtiBattery101, making you easily get the Battery Test Results. This car battery Tester is recommended by Soctty Kilmer and BestReviews. It can directly detect the battery data and give suggestions on whether to replace the battery. It also has cranking test and charging system test.
- CJ4-R OBD-2 ScanTool / Oscilloscope / Automotive diagnostic scanner
- Wide vehicle coverage with over 35500 (DTC)s in library covering 55 brands and 28 makes in enhanced specific coverage, read /clear and view live data. Supports protocols: CAN, J1850, ISO9141, KWP 2000, ISO 14230-4, SCI and CCD
- download our App from your App store, plug in your CJ4R to the vehicle, and connect via Bluetooth
- Key / alarm control reprograming in specific vehicles. VW, Seat, GM 1996-2007, Atos by Dodge, Nissan Sentra, Peugeot 206, GM Euro Opel, Opel pin code extraction, Polo, Chrysler up to 2003, Spark Aveo, Pontiac Matiz, Renault Platina Clio.
- Enhanced features / memory reset, SKIM adaptation, ECU adaptation, Oil life reset, transmission programing, ABS, air bag, A/C, PCM, clutch position, idle learning reset, crankshaft positioning, variation learning, throttle body calibration and much more! Features in specific makes and models. Technician should see unit coverage on our web page for vehicle verification.
- [All System Diagnosis Tool]: Xtool EZ400 pro is a useful tool for mechanic or professional user,which is a complete diagnosis tool with special service reset functions. This scan tool supports diagnosis on all car systems like ABS, SRS(Airbag), Engine, Transmission, Brake Systems and so on, with capabilities for codes, live data graphing , active test, ECU information, Read VIN etc.
- [11 Service Diagnosis and Reset Function]: Detect your car to get error reason and do RESET function for Electric Parking Brake, Oil Light,Steering Angle Adjust, Immobilization, Suspension, Headlight, Throttle relearn, DPF, Tyre Pressure and Battery Part.
- [Auto Vin/Bi-directional Tool]: Choose your Aear and your car model first to see auto read vin button. This tool has a strong operate system and run fast which help save a lot of time. (Turn on and off actuators to determine whether there are problems with sensors and actuators).This actuation test can be use in ENGINE SYSTEM / STEERING ANGLE SYSTEM / DASHBOARD SYSTEM / EMISSION SYSTEM...etc.(
- [Diagnosis Car Coverage]: Different car model cover different functions. Diagnosis Function For American Cars: USA Ford/ Cadillac/ Dodge/ GMC/ Jeep/ Lincoln/ Pontiac/ Chrysler/ GM/ Hummer/ Buick/ Saturn/ Chevrolet
- [Lifetime Free Update and After-Sales Support]: We offer one year warranty. And this software enjoys LIFE TIME FREE UPGRADE service. If meet any activate or using question,please message us or ask a question with your car model and product sn number.
- Compatible with Lexus, Scion from 1996 till now for coding, airbags rest, key programming and so on.
- Firmware 1.4.1, original FTDI FT232RL chip make the performance higher.
- The package without CD, please download the software from our link or scan the QR code on the listing picture.
- It support Windows xp/7/8/10 32bit and 64bit, but the driver will be regard as virus by mistake in some laptop. We suggest close firewall software when download and install the software, if you are mind it, we don't suggest you buy this mini vci cable.
- Any installation problem, please feel free to contact with us. We supply installation service by team viewer. Please don't update the software directly, If want other different version software, please contact with us.
- EASILY SCAN, READ AND RESET CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS, ABS(Brake), SRS(Airbag & Seatbelts) CODES & MORE - Innova’s 5410 OBD2 scanner empowers the home mechanic with its professional-level functionality. This car diagnostic tool not only reads and clears OBD trouble codes it also provides battery initialization, trip cycle procedures, hybrid diagnostics, and a total module scan on any foreign or domestic 1996 or newer OBD2 car, light truck, SUV, or hybrid vehicle. Supports English, Spanish or French.
- THE DEVICE IS GREAT BUT THE DATA IS BETTER - Innova has best-in-class data to help you Find the Problem and Fix the Problem. The 5410 code reader comes with the RepairSolutions2 -- a unique app that gets you the information you need to keep your vehicle on the road. Get verified fixes, find and purchase the exact part required for repair, schedule maintenance, receive technical bulletins, recalls, and more.
- LIVE DATA FOR MORE ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS - With the Innova 5410 OBD2 reader you can see your vehicle’s essential information like RPM, speed, and oil temperature in real time to help identify and correct problems.
- KNOW YOUR SMOG CHECK RESULTS BEFORE YOUR STATE DOES - More than just a car check engine light reader, the 5410 also lets you check your emissions status using the red, yellow, and green LEDs to pre-determine whether you’ll be able to pass your smog test. This OBD2 scan tool can also read and show your oil life display & level helps you monitor your auto’s lubricant status easily.
- DESIGNED & SUPPORTED IN THE USA - Buy with confidence. Our California-based, ASE-Certified Customer Support team is happy to assist you with any questions or troubleshooting six days a week.
- Work for Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars since 1996 to 2018, work well with all Toyota lexus scion cars worldwide since 1997, for diagnose, customer setting, programming (new key), reprogramming (ECM/ECU), coding etc.
- Note: The diagnose software needs a special program to work properly. The virus protector may notify it as“virus” by mistake. Please unload the anti-virus software on your PC to make sure the diagnose software works normally
- We promise satisfaction guarantee as we can.If you have any dissatisfaction,please let us know and our team will respond within 24 hours.
- 🚗【Advanced J2534 ECU PROGRAMMING】: Autel diagnostic scanner MK908P comes with a SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant Pass-Thru interface, which allows you to program ECUs for Benz/BMW . This helps to update the existing software/firmware of your vehicles, and fix software-controlled drivability & emission issues. Sounds complicated, but this is easy to do and we are 24 hours here for help. Any questions, contact [email protected] for help.
- 🚗【Same as Maxisys Elite, Updated of Maxisys Pro】: With just the same function as Autel Maxisys Elite, upgraded of MS908S PRO, MS908E, Autel scan tool MK908P is much more cost-effective. OE-level obd2 scanner MK908P supports coding functions on 98% vehicle makes. The online coding is compatible with VW & Audi & Porsche & Benz/BMW, and its online configuration for Renault is unique among diagnostic industries.
- 🚗【Advanced Special Functions for Professionals】: Full system diagnostic scanner MK908P enjoys 30+ professional service functions like Oil Reset, EPB, BMS, SAS, DPF, TPMS, and IMMO Service, etc. Besides, MK908P has guided functions which are covered for VAG group. Power balance and offline coding can be supported on Ford. Proxy alignment is there for Fiat. Hiding / customization / personalization functions are covered for car makes such as BWM, VAG, Toyota etc.
- 🚗【Wide Vehicle Coverage for Repairing Shops】: Autel Diagnostic Scanner MK908P has wide vehicle coverage for more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes, ideal for experienced mechanics and garage to do professional repairing and maintenance. With luxury car makes coverage, basic diagnostic functions and most special/service functions of MK908P are compatible with Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin and Maserati etc.
- 🚗【Free Gift of Car Battery Tester AB101】: Priced at 49$, car battery tester is recommended by Scotty Kilmer and BestReviews. It directly detects the battery data and give suggestions on whether to replace the battery. This 12v car auto battery load tester is convenient for you to know the condition of cranking and charging system. Any questions, contact [email protected] for sure.
- Includes support for GM's Tech2WIN providing tech 2 diagnostic software to run on a PC with GM’s TIS Tech2WIN subscription and amplifier; software application
- Offers additional J2534-2 coverage that expands reprogramming beyond just engine and amplifiers; transmission support for Ford, GM, Toyota, Volvo, BMW, and some others
- Works with all OEM J-2534 applications, also supports both J2534-1 and amplifier; J-2534-2, helping you get the most out of the OEM application
- Supported Bus protocols: CAN/ISO 15765/GMLAN, 2nd CAN (dual or single wire), Ford SCP (J1850PWM), GM Class II (J1850VPW), Chrysler SCI (J2610), KWP2000 (ISO9141/14230)
- BMW 20-pin connector included
- Mini VCI support all the diagnostic communication protocols needed for Toyota (from 1996 to now). Shipping from US.
- Mini VCI for coding,airbags rest, key programming and etc.
- High performance with ARM CPU and original FT232RL chip inside.
- Operating System: Windows XP, Win7/Win8/Win10 32bit and 64bit. The 64bit driver always regard as "virus" by mistake, we suggest you close the anti virus software before you install the software.
- We supply remote installation service by team viewer, any installation problem, please feel free to contact with us.
Last update on 2021-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API