If the battery cable is damaged and then grounded, the short circuit can increase the risk of a fire.
Aston Martin The Americas (Aston Martin) is recalling certain 2005-2009 DB9, and DBS vehicles. The battery supply cable on these vehicles may become damaged when the driver seat is positioned in the full rearward location.
Aston Martin will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the battery supply cable for damage, and install a routing block to keep the battery supply cable from being compressed by the seat, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 1, 2018. Owners may contact Aston Martin customer service at 1-888-923-9988. Aston Martin’s number for this recall is RA-18-0026.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SAFETY RECALL ACTION
|Reference number:||RA-18-0026||Issued: 18 December, 2017|
|Subject:||Change to the Battery Supply Cable Routing|
|VIN range:||Refer to the separately published list of VINs|
|Applicable to:||All US Dealers (Refer to VIN list).|
|Distribute to:||After Sales Manager Warranty
Executive Manager Technician(s)
Service Manager Parts
- Appendix A – Table that Shows the Quantities of Affected Vehicles
- Copy of the Owner Notification letter for vehicles in RA-18-0026
- Copy of the Change of Keeper or Address form.
Reason for this Safety Recall Action NHTSA ID: 17V795
After the issue of Safety Recall Action RA-18-0020 in April, 2016, we have now found that the same effect (that is described below) can affect a larger group of vehicles than the initial safety recall. This is because the software protection for the range of movement of the seat can be lost and subsequently incorrectly re-learnt. Vehicles affected by this Safety Recall Action (RA-18-0026) must have both conditions that follow:
- The battery cable must be in a specific position and;
- There has been a fault or power failure that causes failure of the software protection.
If the correct seat calibration procedure is completed as described in the Workshop Manual, the Owner’s Guide or with the use of AMDS, the problem cannot happen.
Other Aston Martin vehicles have a different cable routing and are therefore not affected.
Aston Martin has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on a range of vehicles that were manufactured from July 2004 until July 2008.
This Safety Recall Action is applicable to the vehicles below:
- DB9 with height adjustable passenger seats from July 2004 to July 2006.
- DBS with height adjustable passenger seats from June 2008 to July 2008.
Description of the problem
On the affected vehicles, it is possible, in some circumstances, that when the right front seat is operated to its fully rearward position that the seat’s left runner can compress the battery supply cable. The battery supply cable is fully insulated but if the seat runner compresses the cable repeatedly, damage to the insulation of the supply cable can occur. When this happens, it is possible that the seat runner can conduct electricity from the battery supply cable. An earth wire that connects the seat runner assembly to ground will conduct the electricity to ground and begin to overheat. The heat will cause the ground wire to degrade, causing smoke to appear in the passenger compartment, and eventually, the copper of the ground wire will break and open the circuit.
To correct this problem you must examine the battery supply cable for damage. Also, you must install a routing block to make sure that the seat runner cannot continue to compress the battery supply cable.
The Workshop Procedure that follows must be done to every vehicle that is in the separately published list of VINs. You can find the list of VINs as an attachment to this document on the DCS portal.
PLEASE DO A CHECK OF ALL VEHICLES THAT ARE IN THE AFFECTED VIN LIST
In some regions, we will write to every owner directly to tell them about this Safety Recall Action. A copy of the letter is attached at the end of this Safety Recall Action for your information. There is also a copy of the “Change of Keeper’s Address or Ownership” form. You can download these documents from the DCS portal. If you need to mail the Customer directly, your regional After Sales Manager will tell you. If you need to do this, you can make a claim for your administration costs (refer to Warranty Data).
When the Owner calls to make an appointment, briefly describe the remedial work which will be done to the Owner’s vehicle and fully explain the reason for this work. Tell the owner that the repair will be done at no cost to them.
Service Reception Desk – Checks you must do before you book the vehicle in.
When you make a reservation for a Customer that you confirm the name and contact details are correct in Aston Martin’s records. To do this, please do the steps that follow:
- Enter the vehicle’s 6-digit chassis number into DCS (amdealers.com) and click “Validate” (refer to Figure 1).
- Make sure that the vehicle details are correct. If the current owner is correct, no action is necessary.
- Make sure that the Customer name is correct. If the data is correct, then no action is necessary.
- To update the Customer details, use the search feature to find the customer in your Synergy database (refer to Figure 2).
Note: The Customer record and updated details must have been entered into Synergy before you try to transfer the ownership in DCS.
- If the correct Customer shows, click “confirm”.
- If the correct Customer details do not show, click “add new”.
Before you start work
Log on to the Online Dealer Warranty (ODW) system. Do the steps that follow:
- Select the Warranty Live screen (Outstanding Campaigns Status).
- Download the VIN list from DCS and do a check of the VINs in your control.
- Find out if there are other open Service Actions (SAs) or Safety Recall Actions (RAs) for the vehicles in the list.
- List the SAs and RAs and plan the work so that the Owner only needs to come to your Dealership once.
Note: The ODW system operates in real-time. Thus, the online condition shows only the newest Dealer Warranty Claim submissions.
- Open the right door.
- Operate the right front seat to the fully forward position.
- If standard seats are installed, press the seat back release button and manually move the seat back forwards (refer to Figure 3).
- If lightweight seats are installed, access will be easier if you open the left door and work across the transmission tunnel. Operate the left seat to the fully forward or fully rearward position, as necessary.
- Lift the carpet from the floor and from the rear right side of the transmission tunnel (refer to Workshop Manual procedures 01.05.AE and 01.05.AG). You need only lift the carpet in the area adjacent to the rear end of the inboard seat runner (refer to Figure 4).
- Pull the stud-mounted tie wrap off the weld stud to release the battery main supply cable (refer to Figure 4).
- Examine the battery main supply cable for damage.
- If you do not find damage, continue from step 11.
- If only signs of light damage are found, wrap self-amalgamating harness tape around the supply cable. Continue from step 11.
- If the supply cable insulation is damaged (melted or showing bare metal – refer to Figure 5), or if you think that the cable is damaged internally, contact Aston Martin Technical Services. Contact information is given at the end of this document.
- If the supply cable is not damaged, install the routing block.
- Install the block (1) on the weld stud.
- Push the block against the body.
- Push down the stud-mounted tie wrap (2) to attach the block (refer to Figure 6).
- Use two cable ties to attach the supply cable to the routing block (refer to Figure 7).
- Install the carpet on the floor and on the rear right side of the transmission tunnel (refer to Workshop Manual procedures 01.05.AE and 01.05.AG). Use double-sided adhesive tape as necessary to attach the carpets.
- Operate the right front seat back to its initial position.
Make sure that you submit your claim in less than 24 hours after the work is completed. The records of your claims are used in the reporting process for the Recall Action that Aston Martin need to submit to the applicable authorities.
Procedure and Labour Time
|Examine battery supply cable and install routing block kit||0.2 hours|
|Routing Block Kit that contains the components that follow:||GD33-37-10114||1|
|Self-Amalgamating Harness Tape||Local Supply||As necessary|
|Double-sided Adhesive Tape||Local Supply||As necessary|
When you have completed this Safety Recall Action, make sure that you make an entry in Section A of the Vehicle Owner’s Guide to show that the procedure is completed.
Appendix A – Table that Shows the Quantities of Affected Vehicles in the US Market
Note: Please refer to the list on DCS for the vehicles in your region.
|Model||Period of Manufacture||Registered & AMLNA Fleet||Dealer Un Registered|
|DB9||July 2004 – July 2006||1950||0|
|DBS||June 2008 – July 2008||3||0|
|TOTAL||July 2004 – July 2008||1953||0|
The English version of this Safety Recall Action is written in Simplified Technical English to ASD-STE100™.
- 1,700 Peak Amps; 425 Cranking Amps
- Clore PROFORMER Battery Technology
- 68" #2 AWG Welding Cable Leads
- Heavy Duty PowerJaw Clamps
- Built-in 3A Automatic Charger
- 【SUPER POWERFUL & COMPACT】This compact (7.5*3.4*1.4-inch) & lightweight (615g), yet powerful 2000A peak output jump starter has no problem starting most vehicles with gas engines up to 8.0L or diesels engines up to 6.5L.
- 【HIGH-SPEED CHARGING PORTS】Aside from normal charging ports, this portable jump starter is also equipped with a smart USB output that provides the fastest charging speed for your portable electronic devices.
- 【ULTIMATE SAFETY】The advanced intelligent protection clamps with a LED screen can provide over-current protection, short circuit protection, over-load protection, over-voltage protection, over-charge protection, etc. to ensure safety.
- 【3-IN-1 MULTIFUNCTIONAL LED FLASHLIGHT】The battery jump starter has a built-in LED flashlight with 3 modes (lighting/SOS/strobe) for emergency and night time use. You can use this car jump starter for illumination purposes or to signal an emergency.
- 【Buy with Confidence】 We provide unlimited customer service support and tech support. Questions will be responded to within 24 working hours. It is a must have for anyone with a car. Click “Add to Cart” now – You won’t regret it!
- 【Powerful & Emergency】This Car Life Saver is able to jump starts your vehicles in seconds up to 30 times with 12000mAh battery capacity and 1200A peak current. (up to 7.0L petrol or 5.0L diesel engine).Suitable for all types of 12V vehicle, such as truck, motorcycle, boat, RV or tractor, etc
- 【5 in 1 Multi-Function】Powerful Jump Starter + Portable Power Bank + Dual USB Ports + LED Flashlight + SOS Lighting Signal for emergency, especially for adventure, travel, outdoor, daily, long distance driving, etc
- 【Advanced Safety Technology】: The intelligent mainboard work with jumper clamp features more than 5 advanced safety technology including reverse polarity protection, over-current protection, overload protection, over-voltage protection, over-charge protection, making it totally safe for anyone to use
- 【Portable Charger with Dual USB Ports】This power bank is able to fully charge your laptops, smart phones, tablets, cameras and more device,it has dual USB ports that allows you to charge two devices simultaneously
- 【SATISFACTION GUARANTEE】 12 MONTHS WARRANTY and 30 days MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. If you have any questions or issues feel free to contact us, we will reply within 24 hours
- START DEAD BATTERIES: Safely jump start a dead battery in seconds with this compact, yet powerful, 1000-amp portable lithium car battery jump starter pack - up to 20 jump starts on a single charge - and rated for gasoline engines up to 6 liters and diesel engines up to 3 liters.
- ULTRASAFE: Safe and easy to use car battery jump starter pack without the worry of incorrect connections or sparks. Safely connect to any 12-volt automotive car battery with our mistake-proof design featuring spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection.
- MULTI-FUNCTION: It's a car jump starter, portable power bank, and LED flashlight. Recharge smartphones, tablets, and other USB devices. It's easily rechargeable from any powered USB port in 3 hours at 2.1-amps. Plus, an integrated 100-lumen LED flashlight with seven light modes, including emergency strobe and SOS.
- ADVANCED DESIGN: Our most advanced portable car battery jump starter ever. Featuring high-discharge lithium technology for safe operation in any climate. A rugged and water-resistant enclosure rated at IP65. A rubberized over-molded casing to prevent scratching or marring of surfaces. And an ultra-compact and lightweight design, measuring 3.2 x 1.7 x 6.7 inches and weighing just 2.4 pounds.
- IN THE BOX: GB40 UltraSafe Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter Pack, Heavy-Duty Battery Clamps, 12-Volt Car Charger, Micro USB Charging Cable, Microfiber Storage Bag, User Guide, 1-Year Warranty, and Designed in the USA.
- POWERFUL BUT COMPACT: With 800 amps peak current, the Tacklife T8 can jump start 12V cars, SUVs, trucks or vans up to 30 times on a full charge (charging takes 4.5 hours). It’s a compact power bank (18000mAh capacity), can charge your phone with dual USB ports (one is a 5v/9v Quick Charge) and can power your other car accessories using a 12V 10A DC port.
- LONG-LASTING STANDBY TIME: Unlike other car jump starters, you can manually turn the Tacklife T8 ‘OFF’ to slow down the battery's self-discharge – allowing to the T8 to hold its charge for up to 12 months while not in use. (Please remember to turn ‘ON’ before charging or it will not charge.)
- USER-FRIENDLY EXTRAS: Not just a car battery charger, the T8 comes equipped with super bright LEDs functioning as an emergency flashlight. The red light can function as a traffic hazard warning signal in the event of an accident. The T8 is a multifunctional life-saver with a strobe, SOS signal and built-in Compass. The digital LCD screen clearly displays remaining battery life.
- WELL-DESIGNED: The unique design of the Tacklife T8 car jumper is bold but easy to handle. The specially designed indicator notifies you of incorrect use with an audible buzz and flashing lights. The full metal clamps are built to last and are ergonomically designed to be easy to open.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: TACKLIFE T8 jump starter, smart jumper cables, wall charger, car charger, USB cable, cigarette lighter socket adapter, user manual and 2 year warranty. Our after-sales customer service is available any time. Please feel free to contact us for help.
- BEATIT B7 is an extremely versatile and reliable portable car jump starter battery pack
- Powerful jump starter: with a peak of 1200 Amps(UL2743 Certified) – it’s able to jump starts flat batteries in 1-3 seconds up to 30 times on a single charge. Work with all 12V battery cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATV, UTV, lawn mowers, yachts and heavy duty
- Portable power bank: 16,500mAh has been a life saver, designed with dual USB output (5V/2.1A), It is convenient and easy to use, perfect companion for camping, traveling abroad, vacation, power outages, or any emergency situation
- Advanced Technology: lithium ion battery chip QDSP technology (Quick Discharge Start Power), it’s able to withstand various environments and challenging temperatures, It is by far smaller, and lighter, than the traditional jump box
- BEATIT Exclusive design: 15.5inch extended jumper cables (10inch before extended) solved the problem of too short cables for most products on the market, makes jump start more convenient and free.
- Powerful Jump Starter: Jump start your vehicle (up to 6.5L gas or 4L diesel engine) up to 30 times with 1500 amps of peak current and heavy duty clamps and cables. Also it could start trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATV, UTV, lawn mowers, and yachts up in a few minutes, even in extreme temperature(-4°F~140°F).
- Protections: Intelligent jump cables built-in 8 upgraded protections, particularly spark-proof, reverse polarity protection, over-current protection, high-temperature protection, over-load protection. Flashing light and beep will tell you wrong operations
- Smart Charging Port: With 21800mAh capacity and smart 3.0 USB port, it can full charge your laptops, smart phones, tablets, and other devices at the fastest speed possible.
- A Life Saver: The Ultra-Bright LED light has 3 light modes with Flashlight, Strobe light, SOS light and which comes in handy in case of an emergency and outdoor adventures.
- What You Get: G17 car battery jumper, Smart jumper cables, USB Type-C cable, User manual, 24 months card, Carrying case.
- Imazing Portable Car Jump Starter: 1500A Peak 12000mAH (Up to 8L Gas or 6L Diesel Engine) 12V Auto Battery Booster Portable Power Pack with LCD Display, Smart Jumper Cables and LED Flashlight
- Advanced Safety Technology: The intelligent Mainboard work with jumper clamp features more than 5 advanced safety technology including reverse polarity protection, over-current protection, overload protection, over-voltage protection, over-charge protection, making it totally safe for anyone to use.
- 6 IN 1 MULTI-FUNCTION: Emergency Jump Starter + Portable Charger + LED Flashlight + S.O.S Lighting Signal for help + Dual USB Quick Charge + For the vehicle electrical supply (appliance via Cigarette light adapter). It can help you in any case especially for long distance driving, adventure, outdoor, daily, emergency, travel, etc.
- A Powerful Power Station: This is not just a portable jump starter but a jump starter power pack! With 12000mah of battery capacity, it can provide sufficient power to charge your smartphones, tablets.
- What You Get: Imazing Jump Starter , intelligent jump cable clamps, intelligent cigarette charger jump cable, 12V wall charger, 12V car charger, USB cable, portable compressive case, User Manual and 2 years warranty service.Imazing offer working days live chat on FB page, Search “Imazing” on FB if you have any problem for shopping. Imazing offers working days live chat on FB page, search “Imazing” on FB if you have any problems for shopping.
- 1150 Peak Amps for jump starting vehicles and large capacity battery charging with digital display
- (2) 2.1A USB Power Port to charge your phone, tablet or other portable devices and (2) 12V DC power outlets for up to 54 hours of charging
- 100PSI air compressor with automatic tire gauge includes in-unit stored nozzles for sport balls, car and bike inflation
- Features hook-up safeguards for clamps that sound if improperly connected, automatic USB protection and battery maintaining to prevent overcharging
- Includes 4-gauge, 24" cables with color-coded clamps, carrying handle and built-in flashlight
Last update on 2019-11-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-11-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API