If the battery cable is damaged and then grounded, the short circuit can increase the risk of a fire.
Aston Martin The Americas (Aston Martin) is recalling certain 2005-2009 DB9, and DBS vehicles. The battery supply cable on these vehicles may become damaged when the driver seat is positioned in the full rearward location.
Aston Martin will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the battery supply cable for damage, and install a routing block to keep the battery supply cable from being compressed by the seat, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 1, 2018. Owners may contact Aston Martin customer service at 1-888-923-9988. Aston Martin’s number for this recall is RA-18-0026.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SAFETY RECALL ACTION
|Reference number:||RA-18-0026||Issued: 18 December, 2017|
|Subject:||Change to the Battery Supply Cable Routing|
|VIN range:||Refer to the separately published list of VINs|
|Applicable to:||All US Dealers (Refer to VIN list).|
|Distribute to:||After Sales Manager Warranty
Executive Manager Technician(s)
Service Manager Parts
- Appendix A – Table that Shows the Quantities of Affected Vehicles
- Copy of the Owner Notification letter for vehicles in RA-18-0026
- Copy of the Change of Keeper or Address form.
Reason for this Safety Recall Action NHTSA ID: 17V795
After the issue of Safety Recall Action RA-18-0020 in April, 2016, we have now found that the same effect (that is described below) can affect a larger group of vehicles than the initial safety recall. This is because the software protection for the range of movement of the seat can be lost and subsequently incorrectly re-learnt. Vehicles affected by this Safety Recall Action (RA-18-0026) must have both conditions that follow:
- The battery cable must be in a specific position and;
- There has been a fault or power failure that causes failure of the software protection.
If the correct seat calibration procedure is completed as described in the Workshop Manual, the Owner’s Guide or with the use of AMDS, the problem cannot happen.
Other Aston Martin vehicles have a different cable routing and are therefore not affected.
Aston Martin has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on a range of vehicles that were manufactured from July 2004 until July 2008.
This Safety Recall Action is applicable to the vehicles below:
- DB9 with height adjustable passenger seats from July 2004 to July 2006.
- DBS with height adjustable passenger seats from June 2008 to July 2008.
Description of the problem
On the affected vehicles, it is possible, in some circumstances, that when the right front seat is operated to its fully rearward position that the seat’s left runner can compress the battery supply cable. The battery supply cable is fully insulated but if the seat runner compresses the cable repeatedly, damage to the insulation of the supply cable can occur. When this happens, it is possible that the seat runner can conduct electricity from the battery supply cable. An earth wire that connects the seat runner assembly to ground will conduct the electricity to ground and begin to overheat. The heat will cause the ground wire to degrade, causing smoke to appear in the passenger compartment, and eventually, the copper of the ground wire will break and open the circuit.
To correct this problem you must examine the battery supply cable for damage. Also, you must install a routing block to make sure that the seat runner cannot continue to compress the battery supply cable.
The Workshop Procedure that follows must be done to every vehicle that is in the separately published list of VINs. You can find the list of VINs as an attachment to this document on the DCS portal.
PLEASE DO A CHECK OF ALL VEHICLES THAT ARE IN THE AFFECTED VIN LIST
In some regions, we will write to every owner directly to tell them about this Safety Recall Action. A copy of the letter is attached at the end of this Safety Recall Action for your information. There is also a copy of the “Change of Keeper’s Address or Ownership” form. You can download these documents from the DCS portal. If you need to mail the Customer directly, your regional After Sales Manager will tell you. If you need to do this, you can make a claim for your administration costs (refer to Warranty Data).
When the Owner calls to make an appointment, briefly describe the remedial work which will be done to the Owner’s vehicle and fully explain the reason for this work. Tell the owner that the repair will be done at no cost to them.
Service Reception Desk – Checks you must do before you book the vehicle in.
When you make a reservation for a Customer that you confirm the name and contact details are correct in Aston Martin’s records. To do this, please do the steps that follow:
- Enter the vehicle’s 6-digit chassis number into DCS (amdealers.com) and click “Validate” (refer to Figure 1).
- Make sure that the vehicle details are correct. If the current owner is correct, no action is necessary.
- Make sure that the Customer name is correct. If the data is correct, then no action is necessary.
- To update the Customer details, use the search feature to find the customer in your Synergy database (refer to Figure 2).
Note: The Customer record and updated details must have been entered into Synergy before you try to transfer the ownership in DCS.
- If the correct Customer shows, click “confirm”.
- If the correct Customer details do not show, click “add new”.
Before you start work
Log on to the Online Dealer Warranty (ODW) system. Do the steps that follow:
- Select the Warranty Live screen (Outstanding Campaigns Status).
- Download the VIN list from DCS and do a check of the VINs in your control.
- Find out if there are other open Service Actions (SAs) or Safety Recall Actions (RAs) for the vehicles in the list.
- List the SAs and RAs and plan the work so that the Owner only needs to come to your Dealership once.
Note: The ODW system operates in real-time. Thus, the online condition shows only the newest Dealer Warranty Claim submissions.
- Open the right door.
- Operate the right front seat to the fully forward position.
- If standard seats are installed, press the seat back release button and manually move the seat back forwards (refer to Figure 3).
- If lightweight seats are installed, access will be easier if you open the left door and work across the transmission tunnel. Operate the left seat to the fully forward or fully rearward position, as necessary.
- Lift the carpet from the floor and from the rear right side of the transmission tunnel (refer to Workshop Manual procedures 01.05.AE and 01.05.AG). You need only lift the carpet in the area adjacent to the rear end of the inboard seat runner (refer to Figure 4).
- Pull the stud-mounted tie wrap off the weld stud to release the battery main supply cable (refer to Figure 4).
- Examine the battery main supply cable for damage.
- If you do not find damage, continue from step 11.
- If only signs of light damage are found, wrap self-amalgamating harness tape around the supply cable. Continue from step 11.
- If the supply cable insulation is damaged (melted or showing bare metal – refer to Figure 5), or if you think that the cable is damaged internally, contact Aston Martin Technical Services. Contact information is given at the end of this document.
- If the supply cable is not damaged, install the routing block.
- Install the block (1) on the weld stud.
- Push the block against the body.
- Push down the stud-mounted tie wrap (2) to attach the block (refer to Figure 6).
- Use two cable ties to attach the supply cable to the routing block (refer to Figure 7).
- Install the carpet on the floor and on the rear right side of the transmission tunnel (refer to Workshop Manual procedures 01.05.AE and 01.05.AG). Use double-sided adhesive tape as necessary to attach the carpets.
- Operate the right front seat back to its initial position.
Make sure that you submit your claim in less than 24 hours after the work is completed. The records of your claims are used in the reporting process for the Recall Action that Aston Martin need to submit to the applicable authorities.
Procedure and Labour Time
|Examine battery supply cable and install routing block kit||0.2 hours|
|Routing Block Kit that contains the components that follow:||GD33-37-10114||1|
|Self-Amalgamating Harness Tape||Local Supply||As necessary|
|Double-sided Adhesive Tape||Local Supply||As necessary|
When you have completed this Safety Recall Action, make sure that you make an entry in Section A of the Vehicle Owner’s Guide to show that the procedure is completed.
Appendix A – Table that Shows the Quantities of Affected Vehicles in the US Market
Note: Please refer to the list on DCS for the vehicles in your region.
|Model||Period of Manufacture||Registered & AMLNA Fleet||Dealer Un Registered|
|DB9||July 2004 – July 2006||1950||0|
|DBS||June 2008 – July 2008||3||0|
|TOTAL||July 2004 – July 2008||1953||0|
The English version of this Safety Recall Action is written in Simplified Technical English to ASD-STE100™.
- 1,700 Peak Amps; 425 Cranking Amps
- Clore PROFORMER Battery Technology
- 68" #2 AWG Welding Cable Leads
- Heavy Duty PowerJaw Clamps
- Built-in 3A Automatic Charger
- 【Powerful But Compact】 With 800 amps peak current, Tacklife T8 can jump start 12V cars, SUV, truck or van up to 30 times after a full charge (in 4.5 hours). It's also a compact power bank with 18000mAh capacity, can charge your phone with dual USB ports (one is a 5v/9v Quick Charge), and 12V 10A DC port can power your other car accessories
- 【Super Long Standby Time】 Different from other car starters, you can turn Tacklife T8 OFF with the ON/OFF switch manually, to slow down the battery's self-discharge and hold a charge up to 12 months when not in usePlease remember to turn it ON before charging, or it will not be charged
- 【User-Friendly Extras】 Not only a car battery charger, the super bright LEDs make it an emergency flashlight, the red warning light can remind the passing cars if there is an accident. And it's a multifunctional life-saver with strobe, SOS signal lights, and a built-in Compass. Also, the digital LCD screen shows electricity clearer
- 【Everywhere Is Well-Designed】 Unique line design makes Tacklife T8 car jumper looks powerful and convenient to hold. The specially designed indicator can notify you the wrong operation by blinking lights and buzzing. All-metal and ergonomically designed clamps are easy to open, durable enough for a long time using
- 【What You Get】 TACKLIFE T8 jump starter, smart jumper cables, wall charger, car charger, USB cable, cigarette lighter socket adapter, user manual, 2 years warranty and after-sales customer service in any time, please feel free to contact us for help
- 1,700 Peak Amps; 425 Cranking Amps. Built-in charger. Charger Type- Automatic
- PROFORMER battery technology is designed to provide extremely high power output, extended cranking power and a long service life
- 46 inch heavy-duty #2 AWG cables; copper insulated
- Voltmeter provides charge status of onboard battery
- DC outlet to power 12 volt accessories; DC input to recharge internal battery
- BEATIT G18 is the most powerful car jump starter specially designed for high displacement vehicles it can jump start all 12V vehicle batteries
- Compact with a peak of 2000 Amps (UL2743 Certified) 21000mAh - it's able to jump start flat batteries up to 30 times on a single charge. Work with all 12V battery cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, ATV, UTV, snowmobiles, lawn mowers, yachts and heavy duty
- Packed with dual USB output (5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1. 5A) and 10W wireless charge the power to deliver 4. 9 charges to iPhone X, nearly 5. 2 charges for Galaxy S9, Recharges in 6 hours with a 5V/3A Type-C charger
- BEATIT's exclusive extended jumper cables solved the problem of too short cables to connect the vehicle battery positive and negative for most products on the market, makes jump start more convenient and free
- Advanced lithium ion battery chip QDSP technology (Quick Discharge Start Power), it makes the jump starter able to withstand challenging temperatures especially in extremely cold weather to jump start vehicles in 1-3 seconds, 3X stronger and reliable than any product with the same specifications
- 【Powerful & Compact】- AUTOWN Battery Booster (up to 8.0L Gas/6.5L Diesel Engines) can jump start 12V battery car with 20800mah(59.2wh) capacity. And the peak current up to 2000A, suitable for SUV, tracks, vans or motorcycles, etc.
- 【Quick Charging USB Ports】 - AUTOWN Jump Starter designed with dual USB output (5V/2.1A, 5V/3A 9V/2A 12V/1.5A ), the quick charge 3.0 USB port not only charge faster than usual, but also compatible with almost all USB charging specifications of products and devices. And DC output (12V/10A) can power your toy car,telescope or camera,etc.
- 【Safety Technology】 - Newest safety technology designs with over current protection, short circuit protection, overload protection, over-voltage protection, over-charge protection, high temperature protection, making it totally safe for anyone to use. Advanced QDSP technology made Autown portable jump starter 3X stronger than any other products with the same capacity, especially at low temperatures.
- 【Flashlight &LCD Screen& Power Bank】 - The new-added LCD screen can exactly show the remaining power. Flashlight can switch between lighting, strobe and SOS modes under different circumstances, it can help you in any situations, such as outdoor, wild, etc. And this power bank is able to fully charge your phone, camera or other device.
- 【Ergonomic Design】 - AUTOWN portable car jump start use unique line design, comfortable and easy to hold. The unit is supplied in a fabulous quality semi-hard case. Unlike traditional bulky jump starter packs, it's small enough to store in your cars anywhere and light enough to pack in your bag.
- BEATIT B10 PRO is the most compact portable size and light weight with heavy duty feeling construction for emergency car jump starter
- With a peak of 800 Amps (UL2743 Certified) - it's able to jump start flat batteries up to 20 times on a single charge. Work with all 12V battery cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATV, UTV, lawn mowers, yachts and heavy duty
- 12, 800mAh power bank designed with dual USB output(5V/2. 1A) 10W and type C port(5V/3A) which is both in and out, used to recharge this charger and also to charge your USB devices, battery standby time up to 12months, with a self-discharge rate of approximately 5-10%/year, recommend to check/charge it every 3 months
- BEATIT exclusive extended jumper cables solved the problem of too short cables to connect the vehicle battery positive and negative for most products on the market, makes jump start more convenient and free
- Built-in "Integrated Voltmeter "on jumper cables that reads the battery voltage of the vehicle's battery for enhanced diagnostics of the battery state，5 Unique safety technology such as over-current protection, overload protection, over-voltage protection, over-charge protection, high temperature protection, making it totally safe for anyone to use
- 🚗A MORE POWERFUL JUMP STARTER🚗: The JX12 lithium-ion jump starter is rated at 1200A peak current. It is designed for 12V vehicles with up to 8.0L gas and 6.0L diesel engines. It provides up to 30 jump starts on a single charge, can jump start a 100% dead battery, and hold a charge for more than six months.
- 🚗UPGRADED SAFETY FEATURES🚗: The JX12 has nine intelligent safety functions to ensure the safety of the user in all modes of operation and to protect the unit from damage. The unit has short-circuit protection, over-temperature protection, reverse connection protection, over-current protection, over charge protection, and over-voltage protection making it super safe for anyone to use.
- 🚗MULTIFUNCTIONAL 15V/10A OUTPUT& LED LIGHT🚗: The 15V/10A multifunction port can power other vehicle devices such as an air compressor, car fridge, car vacuum cleaner, and more. The unit has a built-in super-bright LED flashlight with a normal/steady mode plus flashing strobe and SOS modes for emergency situations.
- 🚗QUICK CHARGE TECHNOLOGY🚗: The newly added Type-C IN/OUT port (5V/3A) and dual USB quick charge output ports can be used to charge your phone, GPS, camera, tablet or other electronic devices even faster.
- 🚗TWO-YEAR WARRANTY🚗: The JX12 jump starter comes with a 30-day money back guarantee and a full two-year warranty. This complete package includes: the JX12 jump-start power pack, an intelligent jumper cable set with clamps and protection device, a UL listed wall charger (100-240V), a car cigarette lighter adapter and connector, a Type-C to Type-C charging cable, a USB charging cable, the user's manual, and storage bag.
- Imazing Portable Car Jump Starter - 2500A Peak 20000mAH (Up to 8L Gas or 8L Diesel Engine) 12V Auto Battery Booster Portable Power Pack with LCD Display, Smart Jumper Cables and LED Flashlight
- Smart intelligent Clamp - Clear instructional guideline LCD display indicated 8 advanced safety technology features including reverse polarity protection, reverse connection protection, over-current protection, overload protection, over-voltage protection, over-charge protection, short circuit protection, over-discharge protection.
- Quick Charging USB Ports & Type C Port & DC Output: USB Qutput 1 (5V/3A,9V2A,12V1.5A), Output 2 (5V/2.1A), Type C In(Out)(5V/3A), DC Output (12V/6A). The quick charge 3.0 USB port compatible with almost all QC 3.0 USB charging specifications of products and equipment provide 3 times faster charging speed.
- A Powerful Power Station: This is not just a portable jump starter but a jump starter power pack! With 20000mah of battery capacity, it can provide sufficient power to charge your smartphones, tablets.
- IM29 What You Get - 1 x Jump starter, 1 x Carry case, 1 x LCD smart Clamp, 1 x Type C cable (type C cable color may change without notice), 1 x Cigarette Lighter Adapter, 1 x User Manual and 2 years warranty service.
- 1150 Peak Amps for jump starting vehicles and large capacity battery charging with digital display
- (2) 2.1A USB Power Port to charge your phone, tablet or other portable devices and (2) 12V DC power outlets for up to 54 hours of charging
- 100PSI air compressor with automatic tire gauge includes in-unit stored nozzles for sport balls, car and bike inflation
- Features hook-up safeguards for clamps that sound if improperly connected, automatic USB protection and battery maintaining to prevent overcharging
- Includes 4-gauge, 24" cables with color-coded clamps, carrying handle and built-in flashlight
- 1500 Peak Amps, 400 Cranking Amps
- 43" #4 Gauge Cables
- Idustrial Grade, Hot Jaw Clamps
- Automatic Recharging (ESA218 Charger Included)
- 12 Volt Power Output
Last update on 2019-08-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-08-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API