If the park pawl does not engage and the vehicle is stopped on a slope and exited without the parking brake being applied, the vehicle may unexpectedly roll, increasing the risk of a crash.
Aston Martin The Americas (Aston Martin) is recalling certain 2009-2016 DB9, 2009-2012 DBS, 2010-2015 Rapide, 2012 Virage, and 2014 Vanquish vehicles equipped with a 6-Speed Touchtronic II Automatic Transmission. A communication error between the Engine Control Module (ECM) and the Transmission Control Module (TCM) can cause the transmission park pawl to not engage.
Aston Martin will notify owners, and dealers will update the TCM software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 1, 2018. Owners may contact Aston Martin customer service at 1-888-923-9988. Aston Martin’s number for this recall is RA-07-0028.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SAFETY RECALL ACTION
|Reference number:||RA-07-0028||Issued: 18 December, 2017|
|Subject:||6-Speed Touchtronic II Automatic Transmission Park Lock Problem|
|Model(s):||DB9, DBS, Virage, Rapide, Vanquish|
|VIN range:||Refer to the attached list of affected Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs)|
|Applicable to:||All Dealers|
|Distribute to:||After Sales Manager Warranty Staff
Executive Manager Technician(s)
Service Manager Parts Staff
- Appendix A – Table that Shows the Quantities of Affected Vehicles.
- Copy of the Owner Notification letter for vehicles in RA-07-0028.
- Copy of the Change of Keeper or Address form.
Reason for this Safety Recall Action NHTSA ID: 17V796
Aston Martin has found a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety on a range of DB9, DBS, Virage, Rapide and Vanquish vehicles manufactured between the dates of February 2008 to July 2016, which have the 6-Speed Touchtronic II Automatic Transmission.
The cause of the problem is a communication error between the Engine Control Module (ECM) software and the Transmission Control Module (TCM). This can cause the transmission park pawl to be held out. When the transmission park pawl is held out, this can let the vehicle to roll away from its parked position.
This problem can occur when all of the following conditions are met:
a) the vehicle key is removed from the ignition control and the engine speed is more than 450 rpm;
b) the driver does not select Park;
c) the driver does not engage the park brake;
d) the vehicle is not parked on level ground; and
e) there is a communication error between the ECM and the TCM.
This Safety Recall Action is applicable to the vehicles that follow:
- DB9 02/2008 – 07/2016
- DBS 09/2008 – 09/2012
- Rapide 03/2010 – 10/2014
- Virage 01/2011 – 09/2012
- Vanquish 10/2012 – 08/2014
The full list of VINs for the affected vehicles is on the Dealer Communication System (DCS) portal as an attachment to this Safety Recall Action document.
PLEASE DO A CHECK OF ALL VEHICLES THAT ARE IN THE AFFECTED VIN LIST
The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, as amended, provides that each vehicle which is subject to a safety recall campaign of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the owner has tendered it for repair. Failure to repair within sixty (60) days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time.
If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the owner may be entitled to an identical or reasonable equivalent vehicle at no charge, or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation.
To avoid having to provide these difficult solutions, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each owner and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. As you will see in reading the attached copies of the letters that are being sent to Owners, the Owners are being instructed to contact Aston Martin Customer Service if their Dealer does not correct the condition within three (3) days of the mutually agreed upon service date. If the condition is not corrected within a reasonable time, they are instructed on how to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
IMPORTANT: We remind you that it can be a violation of Section 30120(i) of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act required under this notice if a Dealer sells or leases a vehicle that is covered by this notice without first completing the repair.
We will write to every owner directly to tell them about this Safety Recall Action. A copy of the letter is attached at the end of this Safety Recall Action for your information. There is also a copy of the “Change of Keeper or Address” form.
When the Owner calls to make an appointment, briefly describe the repair which will be done to the Owner’s vehicle and fully explain the reason for this work. Tell the owner that the repair will be done at no cost to them.
Service Reception Desk – Checks you must do before you book the vehicle in.
When you make a reservation for a Customer that you confirm the name and contact details are correct in Aston Martin’s records. To do this, please do the steps that follow:
- Enter the vehicle’s 6-digit chassis number into DCS (amdealers.com) and click “Validate” (refer to Figure 1).
- Make sure that the vehicle details are correct. If the current owner is correct, no action is necessary.
- Make sure that the Customer name is correct. If the data is correct, then no action is necessary.
- To update the Customer details, use the search feature to find the customer in your Synergy database (refer to Figure 2).
Note: The Customer record and updated details must have been entered into Synergy before you try to transfer the ownership in DCS.
- If the correct Customer shows, click “confirm”.
- If the correct Customer details do not show, click “add new”.
Before you start work
Log on to the Online Dealer Warranty (ODW) system. Do the steps that follow:
- Select the Warranty Live screen (Outstanding Campaigns Status).
- Download the VIN list from DCS and do a check of the VINs in your control.
- Find out if there are other open Service Actions (SAs) or Recall Actions (RAs) for the vehicles in the list.
- List the SAs and RAs and plan the work so that the Owner only needs to come to your Dealership once.
Note: The ODW system operates in real-time. Thus, the online condition shows only the newest Dealer Warranty Claim submissions.
SOFTWARE UPDATE CAN FAIL. THIS CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM).
CONNECT THE AMDS TO AN ELECTRICAL SUPPLY WHEN YOU DO THE PROCEDURE THAT FOLLOWS. IF THE AMDS BATTERY BECOMES DISCHARGED DURING THE SOFTWARE UPDATE, THE UPDATE CAN FAIL AND CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TCM.
- Set the ignition to ON but do not start the engine.
- Connect the Vehicle Communication Interface (VCI) to the vehicle with the Diagnostic Link Cable (DLC) (refer to Service Bulletin SB-00-0379).
- Use AMDS to update the AMDS software to the latest release.
- Use AMDS to update the software for the TCM to the latest release.
- Use AMDS to do a check and erase applicable Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
- Set the ignition to OFF and fully remove the vehicle key from the ignition control.
- Disconnect the battery charger from the vehicle battery.
- Disconnect the AMDS equipment from the electrical
Make sure that you submit your claim in less than 24 hours after the work is completed. The records of your claims are used in the reporting process for the Safety Recall Action that Aston Martin need to submit to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Procedure and Labour Time
|Update the software for the TCM.||0.2 hours|
When you have completed this Safety Recall Action, make sure that you make an entry in Section A of the Vehicle Owner’s Guide to show that the procedure is completed.
Appendix A – Table that Shows the Quantities of Affected Vehicles in the US Market Note: Please refer to the list on DCS for the vehicles in your region.
|Model||Registered & AMLNA Fleet (RA-07-0028)||Port & Dealer Not Registered (QN-07-0082)||Build Range (MM/YY)|
|DB9||1462||9||02/08 – 07/16|
|DBS||382||0||05/08 – 09/12|
|Rapide||880||1||02/10 – 10/14|
|Virage||276||0||10/10 – 09/12|
|Vanquish||483||0||03/12 – 08/14|
|TOTAL||3483||10||02/08 – 07/16|
The English version of this Recall Action is written in Simplified Technical English to ASD-STE100™.